- Workshops 2018 & application s2019
- Productions & Tours
2019 Opera Creation Workshop
The Opera Creation Workshop is open each year to young creators from all disciplines and is a place for reflection and discussion on artistic opera-related issues. This workshop seeks to define current values of opera and the tasks it will assume in the future.
A process of reflection will take place, focusing equally on opera performance today and on the multidisciplinary aspects that it encompasses. Opera – as a genre, as a cultural offering and as a cultural practice – is the main subject of these discussions.
The French composer Pascal Dusapin, Medeamaterial created in 1991 at La Monnaie in Bruxelles and Perelà, Uomo di fumo created in 2003 in Opéra Bastille, will be in charge of leading this workshop.
The workshop is exclusively held in English. Some work sessions may be open to the public.
This workshop is part of the Young Opera Makers programme of enoa (European Network of Opera Academies) and benefit of the support of the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.
With the support of SACD
Shortlisting via application:
• CV (in English) and photo
• Covering letter in English (2 pages maximum) answering in at least 4 of the following questions:
- What was the first performance you saw or heard that made you want to be an artist?
- What is the piece you have made or written that you are most proud of?
- What is the most important project you are working on now?
- What is the one thing you dream of doing in opera?
- What do you expect from a reflection workshop experience during the Festival d’Aix?
- Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?
• Any items already produced that could help assess your work (score, booklet, mock-up , video, etc.) via SoundCloud, YouTube, Dropbox (please check the links remain valid until 2019, January 31st).
APPLICATIONS FEES: €30
All incomplete applications will be rejected.
Application fees cannot be reimbursed.
FINANCIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Accommodation and travel* fees are covered by the Festival d'Aix. Artists pay for their meals.
* Reimbursements of travel fees are made on proof of purchase of a 2nd class return plane or train ticket between the artist’s town/city of residence and Aix/Marseille. Reimbursements are capped by geographical area: €80 (PACA Region), €210 (whole of France), €350 (Europe / Mediterranean), €500 (outside Europe and the Mediterranean)
Thank you for sending your confirmation of reservation (including your hours and places of arrival and departure) at the latest 3 weeks before your arrival.
⇒ Do not hesitate to read our Frequently Asked Questions